James Ireland Memorial Library

Description

The James Ireland Memorial Library, which holds Glasgow University Library's collection of dental books and journals, is situated on the fourth floor of the Glasgow Dental Hospital and School in Sauchiehall Street.

The Dental Students' Society was responsible for the first library, which was in existence before 1907. In 1921 funds were raised to enhance the library so that it could be a fitting memorial to the dental students who had served in The Great War, and its name was changed to the Glasgow Dental Students' War Memorial Library. In 1970 it became the Dental Branch Library of Glasgow University Library and was subsequently renamed The James Ireland Memorial Library in recognition of the contribution of James Ireland, Professor of Dental Primary Care, 1971-80 and Dean of the Dental School 1976-1980, to its development. It became known as the James Ireland Memorial Library in the 1990s.

The library holds what is widely regarded as one of the best collections of dental literature in the UK.

Summary

James Ireland Memorial Library
Record last updated: 21st May 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Building