Roll of Honour
William Strang Maclay
2nd Lieutenant William Strang Maclay of the 8th Battalion Cameronians (Scots Rifles), was the second eldest son of University of Glasgow patron, Lord Maclay. Maclay Hall and the Memorial Chapel organ were donated by the Maclay family in memory of William and his brother, Ebenezer, who both died in the First World War.
William Maclay was educated at Glasgow Academy and Lews School, Cambridge, where he was a prominent member of the football team. He received his commission the day after war was declared. He saw service in the Dardanelles, where he died at the age of 19 from wounds received at Gallipoli on 28 June 1915.
William's older brother, Lieutenant Ebenezer Maclay, served with the 1st Battalion Scots Guards. He was also educated at Glasgow Academy and received a BA from Cambridge. On service since the outbreak of the war, Lieutenant Maclay fought in and survived the Gallipoli campaign, but was later killed by a German sniper near Arras on 11 April 1918 at the age of 27. His name appears on the Helles Memorial, Turkey
Joseph Paton Maclay (1857-1951), 1st Baron Maclay, was Chairman of the shipping company Maclay & Macintyre and a generous benefactor to the University. In 1921, Lord and Lady Maclay donated their home at 17 Park Terrace to the University in memory of their two sons. Maclay Hall opened as a student residence at the beginning of the 1922â€“1923 session and closed in December 2014. It was the first hall of residence provided by the University of Glasgow for students. The Maclays also gifted the Memorial Chapel's original organ. It was designed by the Universityâ€™s organist, A. M. Henderson and built by Henry Willis & Sons, one of Britainâ€™s most distinguished organ builders, in 1928. Despite undergoing major renovation and rebuilding in 1977, the case, console and much of the pipe work is original.