Roll of Honour

Lieutenant

Walter Buchanan McMichael

BSc

Walter Buchanan McMichael was born on 14 December 1884 in Callander, the second son of William and Marion McMichael. His father was a solicitor and the family lived at Bank House.

Memorial chapel at the University of Glasgow
The Memorial Chapel at the University of Glasgow

Walter attended the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College (renamed in 1912 as the Royal Technical College, now the University of Strathclyde) from session 1903-1904 to session 1907-1908. He was initially a full-time day student, qualifying for the Associateship in Mechanical Engineering in 1907. He then returned in session 1907-1908 to take evening classes in Hydraulics and in Sound, Light and Heat. By this time, he was living at 3 Stuart Avenue in Scotstoun and the College student register lists his occupation as ‘Engineer’.

The University of Glasgow recognised the courses of study at the Glasgow and West of Scotland College as counting towards the qualifications required for graduation in engineering science. This enabled Walter to enrol at the University for the final year of its engineering course, where he distinguished himself by finishing fourth in the Engineering and Design class. He graduated BSc in 1910, then served as an Apprentice Engineer with the firm of Brown & Co. in Clydebank. Following the outbreak of war, he was commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant in the 7th Gordon Highlanders on 26 August 1914, and promoted to Lieutenant on 22 June 1915. During this period he was wounded and spent many months away from the front, returning there only a few days before his death. He was killed in action on 26 July 1916.

He is buried at Flatiron Copse cemetery, Mametz, in Northern France. His father was dead by this time, and his mother had the words “Faithful unto Death” added to his grave. He is also commemorated on his local War Memorial in Callander, and on the Roll of Honour of both the Royal Technical College (antecedent of Strathclyde University) and the University of Glasgow. In addition, he is listed on the separate memorial plaque in the University’s Department of Engineering.