Roll of Honour

2nd Lieutenant

James Wood Scott


Lieutenant James Wood Scott, eldest son of Mr and Mrs James Scott, Strathclyde, Bowling, was born at Bowling on the 6th March 1894. He attended the High School of Glasgow from 1903 until 1909, when he went to Leys School Cambridge until 1912. He then went to the University of Glasgow to read for his BSc in Naval Architecture, combined this with practical courses in Engineering, and in 1914 gained the distinction of the 'George Young' Bursary. He won prizes in Mathematics, Natural Philosophy, First Course for Engineers and the Drawing Class prize in Naval Architecture.

Memorial chapel at the University of Glasgow
The Memorial Chapel at the University of Glasgow

He had joined the OTC and had just returned from its summer camp when war was declared. Like many did in 1914 he immediately joined up, joining the 8th Bn. Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and was given a commission on the 29th August. In the following May this battalion sailed for Gallipoli. On he 28th June 1915, his battalion was in an action from which few emerged unwounded. Initially James was reported missing, his death remaining unconfirmed as the 28th June 1915 for many years. He is remembered on the Helles Memorial.

Comments and Citations

Obituary: The High School of Glasgow: the book of Service and Remembrance (Glasgow: Maclehose, Jackson, 1921)

Memorial Place: Commonwealth War