Roll of Honour

2nd Lieutenant

John Eugene Havelock Currie


John Eugene Havelock Currie was born on 22nd April 1893 in Burnside Cottage, Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire. His mother was Mary Jane Watson Currie and his father, a Wine Merchant, was Cecil Charles David Currie. He first studied at Glasgow High School where he was also in the Cadet Corps.

Memorial chapel at the University of Glasgow
The Memorial Chapel at the University of Glasgow

John was a Day (full-time) student of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College (known from 1912 as the Royal Technical College, now the University of Strathclyde), during session 1909-10. The student register gives his address as 84 Springkell Avenue, Pollokshields, and he studied Chemistry, his course involving classes in Physics, Dynamics, Inorganic Chemistry, Chemical Laboratory, Mathematics, Engineering Drawing and Physical Laboratory. Currie returned to the College as an Evening (part-time) student in session 1913-14, when he took a lecture course and a laboratory course in Oils, Paints and Varnishes, gaining a second-class certificate of merit for the lecture course.

Following his first year of studies John worked as an Analytical Chemist for Alex Ferguson & Co in Maryhill, Glasgow.

John had been a member of the Officer Training Corps between 1911 and 1912. Upon the outbreak of war he enlisted with the 5th Cameron Highlanders and was then gazetted to the Royal Scots Fusiliers. He served variously with the 8th, 3rd and 1st battalions. On the 18th July he left for France with the 1st battalion and fought in Sanctuary Wood. It was here that he died on 11th September 1915, shot whilst leading a working party that was attempting to cut a path through the wood towards enemy lines. He was buried at Sanctuary Wood but it appears this cemetery was later damaged during fighting and so he is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial.

Upon his death John was described as "a capable officer and a valued friend".

Comments and Citations

Biography: Information about his time at the Royal Technical College was kindly supplied by Anne Cameron at the University of Strathclyde Archives and Special Collections.

De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour.

Memorial P