Roll of Honour
Henry Steele Davidson
Henry Steele Davidson was born on the 2nd March 1896 in Pollokshields, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. He was the youngest son of William Davidson, a Provison and Produce Importer (Messrs. R. & W. Davidson Ltd.), and Jean Steel Davidson (nee Reid). They had married on the 13th June 1889 at Ferniebank, Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire. The family lived at the Windyhill residence in Kilmacolm, one of only two private homes Charles Rennie Mackintosh built, and commissioned by William Davidson in 1900. The family moved back to 18 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow in 1911 after nearly ten years, due to business pressures, and Windyhill was rented out.
Henry was educated at Glasgow Academy and Fettes College, Edinburgh. Henry came to the University of Glasgow in 1912, undertaking an Arts course. In his first two years, he took classes in French, Latin, Mathematics and Political Economy. He was also a member of the OTC at the University, attaining the rank of Sergeant.
Lieutenant Henry Steele Davidson was killed in action on the 17th May 1915, aged 19, at Richbourg l'Avoue, Festubert, France. He is remembered on the Le Touret Memorial at the east end of Le Touret Military Cemetery, Le Touret, France. His family instituted a Davidson Medal prize at the University of Glasgow for Distinction in Military Science.
Comments and Citations
University of Glasgow Registry and Faculty Records.
Memorial Place: Commonwealth War Graves Commission - Debt of Honour Register