University Gardens, 2

Description

The Subject of Modern History, part of the School of Humanities in the College of Arts, is currently located in 1-2 University Gardens.

No. 2 was one of four houses built by John James Burnet from 1882 to 1884 which were located on the north terrace of the then Saughfield Crescent. The crescent was sited on the former gardens of Saughfield House. The A listed building is designed in a restrained but eclectic Glasgow free style, fusing neo-Baroque with Arts & Crafts detailing.

In 1923 shipowner John McKellar Robertson gifted the house to the University. A room from this house was incorporated into 1 University Gardens and the remainder of No. 2 became a professorial house. In 1926 the building, named Robertson House, became a residence for students and was later annexed by Queen Margaret Hall.

Summary

University Gardens, 2
2 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8LP
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus