Univeristy Gardens, 4

Description

4 University Gardens is currently occupied by the Head of School Administration for the School of Culture & Creative Arts as well as English Literature, the latter being housed in 4-5 University Gardens.

No. 4 was one of four houses built by John James Burnet from 1882 to 1884 which were located on the north terrace of the then Saughfield Crescent. The crescent was sited on the former gardens of Saughfield House. The A listed building is designed in a restrained but eclectic Glasgow free style, fusing neo-Baroque with Arts & Crafts detailing.

In 1885, James Mann, a warehouseman, purchased No. 4. In 1907 he sold it to Diarmid Noel Paton, Regius Professor of Physiology at the University from 1906 to 1928.

Summary

Univeristy Gardens, 4
4 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8QJ
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus