University Gardens, 1

Description

1 University Gardens currently houses the School of Humanities' Student and Staff Support Offices, the Andrew Hook Centre for American Studies, as well as Modern History, the latter of which occupies 1-2 University Gardens.

The house at No. 1 was begun in 1902 by Robert Ewan & Sons and designed in a loosely Italian or French renaissance style. It may be the work of either the father or his eldest son, as Robert Ewan Jr was made partner in the firm in the same year. It is a B Listed building and one of the two buildings in the terrace not designed by John James Burnet, possibly due to plot ownership. The street was initially known as Saughfield Crescent as it was sited on the former gardens of Saughfield House.

In 1922, the house was bought by the University for the Women's Union to replace the inadequate premises in 67 Ann Street (now Southpark Avenue). Around this time shipowner John McKellar Robertson gifted 2 University Gardens to the University (this later became Robertson House). A room from this house was incorporated into 1 University Gardens and the remainder of No. 2 became a professorial house.

Summary

University Gardens, 1
1 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8LP
Record last updated: 29th Oct 2015

University Connections

Campus