Thomson Building

Description

The Anatomy Building was designed by architect John James Burnet and built in 1902. It was named the Thomson Building in honour of Allen Thomson, Regius Professor of Anatomy from 1848 to 1877 and convener of the Old College removal committee.

The building was made possible by a bequest of £13,000 from James Brown Thomson (1818-98), a quayside worker who had inherited a vast wealth from his two brothers, Thomas and John, both Glasgow merchants in 1887.

It houses the Anatomy Museum, and the Laboratory of Human Anatomy , part of the School of Life Sciences of the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences. Extended in 1908, a second extension was designed by the architects Dorward, Matheson, Gleave & Partners in 1977 which roofed the courtyard that was originally provided for the reception of bodies.

Summary

Thomson Building
University Avenue
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 11th Feb 2015