Dumbarton Road Lodge and Gateway

Description

The Dumbarton Road Lodge and Gateway were built in 1880-1881 and were designed by John Burnet Sr. The Lodge was originally built as a pair of attached gate-houses to serve both the Western Infirmary and the University. The building first appears on the 1896 Ordnance Survey and is shown as two buildings. John James Burnet worked for his father at this time and may have contributed to the red sandstone Baronial Design with crowstepped gables, window mullions and corbelling.

The Lodge stands on the former line of what is now Dumbarton Road which was rerouted to the south c1876 with the building of the Partick Bridge in 1876-1878. This wide masonry and cast iron bridge was designed to ease traffic flow and replaced the old narrow stone bridge built c1800 which remains to the east.

The Lodge, with its small crenelated tower, was converted by David Page of Page/Park Architects to house a Maggie's Centre for cancer care in 2001-02. The University’s side of the gate-house – the eastern side – was largely removed behind the frontage to create a light and bright extension with views of Kelvingrove Park and the University. There is a garden located behind the Lodge which contains a sculpture entitled 'DNA' by Charles Jencks, husband of Maggie Keswick Jencks in whose memory the centre is named. The building received a high commendation at the Scottish Enterprise 'Dynamic Place Awards 2003.'

Summary

Dumbarton Road Lodge and Gateway
6, 8 Dumbarton Road
Glasgow
G11 6PA
Record last updated: 12th Jun 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus