The Square, 4

Description

4 The Square is currently occupied by Theology and Religious Studies, part of the School of Critical Studies.

4 The Square housed many of the University's Logic and Rhetoric Professors. No.4's first resident was John Veitch, Professor of Logic and Rhetoric at the University from 1864 to 1894. He lived in the residence from 1870 to 1894. Robert Adamson was Professor of Logic and Rhetoric from 1895 until his death in 1902 during which time he also resided at 4 The Square. Professor of Logic and Rhetoric Robert Latta resided at 4 The Square from 1902 to 1925.

Archibald Allan Bowman was Professor of Logic and Rhetoric, 1925 to 1927, and Professor of Moral Philosophy from 1927 until 1936. Professor Bowman and his wife were due to move into 1 The Square when he was appointed to the Chair of Moral Philosophy in 1927, but Mrs Bowman did not wish to move from house No.4. They remained at No.4 until 1936.

Professor of Moral Philosophy, Sir Oliver Franks, resided at 4 The Square from 1936 until 1945. Followed by the Professor of Old Testament Studies, John Mauchline, who lived in the house from 1945 to c1969. George Bishop, the University's first Kelvin Professor of Natural Philosophy from 1964 to 1976, and his family lived at No. 4 from 1969 until 1974.

4 The Square's last resident, R. Martin S. Smellie, was Professor of Biochemistry from 1966 until 1988. He took up residency in the house in 1974.

Summary

The Square, 4
4 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015