Southpark House

Description

Southpark House was built around 1850 as a double villa on the Hillhead site formerly owned by the Gibson family, and today is a B-listed building housing the University's Learning and Teaching Centre.

The villa was built on what was then called Ann Street, and during the nineteenth century it housed various business families, and in 1898 was the manse of St Mary's Episcopal Church in Great Western Road. In 1905 it was the home of Glasgow solicitor, Alexander Russell, and in the 1910s of Glasgow architect, Charles Edward Whitelaw.

In the early 20th century, 64 and 66 were bought by the University and amalgamated to form one building. In 1958 the house was taken over from the Student Christian Movement to become the fifth house comprising Queen Margaret Halls - a residence for the female students of Queen Margaret College. From 1965 it housed the University's new Television Service and Southpark House was transformed into the biggest educational television facility in the UK.

It now houses the University’s Learning and Teaching Centre.

Summary

Southpark House
64-66 Southpark Avenue
Glasgow
G12 8LB

Record last updated: 27th Feb 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus