St Andrew's Building

Description

The St Andrew's Building was originally built in 1913 by Walter Robert Watson of Cowan & Watson for the Glasgow & West of Scotland College of Domestic Science, established in 1908. The college was renamed Queens College in 1975, and the building was acquired from Glasgow Caledonian University by the University in 1998. On 11 April 1999 St Andrew's College of Education at Bearsden merged with the University and formed the University's Faculty of Education, which also incorporated the Departments of Adult and Continuing Education and Education, the Centre for Science Education, and the Teaching and Learning Service.

Several extensions had been made to the original B-listed 1913 building before it was procured by the University, including the west block extension in 1970; a further extension to that block (north-east) in 1976 by Andrew Alexander McCrory with Building Design Partnership. Finally in 2002 the University commissioned RMJM Architects, who built the north extension, providing a new entrance from Eldon Street, and refurbished the interior to meet current standards for educational use, rationalise circulation, and provide full disabled access.

In 2003 the St Andrew's Building was officially opened by Deputy First Minister, Jim Wallace to house the Faculty, now School of Education, which includes teacher education as well as a centre for adult and lifelong learning and the Scottish Centre for Research in Education (SCRE).

Summary

St Andrew's Building
11 Eldon Street
Glasgow
G3 6NH
Record last updated: 13th Feb 2015

University Connections

Campus