Sir Alexander Stone Building

Description

The Sir Alexander Stone Building, originally known as the Faculty of Arts / Modern Languages Building, was designed in 1953 by Walter Neil Wilson Ramsay of McNair, Elder & Ramsay. It was the first postwar departmental building constructed by the University and opened in 1959 at a cost of £200,000. It was formally inaugurated by the Ambassador of France, Monsieur Jean Chauvel, on 11 February 1960.

Designed as an Arts building, it also accommodated the School of Law amongst others and was renamed the Sir Alexander Stone Building, after the lawyer and bibliophile, Sir Alexander Stone in 2009.

It was made a C-Listed building under Historic Scotland 1 December 2011.

Summary

Sir Alexander Stone Building
16 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8QL
Record last updated: 29th Apr 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus