Stevenson Building

Description

The Stevenson Building for Physical Education (popularly known as the 'Stevie'), located on the corner of Gibson Street and Oakfield Avenue, is named in honour of merchant and benefactor Sir Daniel Macaulay Stevenson (1851-1944), University Chancellor from 1934 until his death in 1944.

A building intended for student medical and physical welfare services was conceived in 1937 and designed by the architects Keppie, Henderson & Partners, however the Second World War stopped any construction. Henderson revised the building plan in 1960 and with significant contributions to the £260,000 building costs from Stevenson's trustees and the University Grants Committee, the 'Stevie' was officially opened on 9 January 1961 by the Principal, Hector Hetherington. It was the University's main sports complex until 1996, when a new sports complex was opened on the Garscube campus. It continues to play an important part in student life at Gilmorehill, however, and facilities include a 25 metres swimming pool, activity hall, exercise studio, squash courts, cardio-vascular suite, muscle conditioning suite, and sauna and steam room.

From 2013 an extensive refurbishment of the Sport and Recreation facilities at the Stevenson Building and on the replacement for the Glasgow University Union's Hive nightclub was started. ECD Architects, in conjunction with Page & Park Architects, were appointed as lead consultants and Heron as Principal Contractor on the project works that commenced on 7 July 2014.

Summary

Stevenson Building
71-77 Oakfield Avenue
Glasgow
G12 8LT
Record last updated: 13th Feb 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus