Sir Alwyn Williams Building

Description

The Sir Alwyn Williams Building is located on the corner between Lilybank Gardens and University Gardens and is named for Sir Alwyn Williams (1921-2004), Principal and Vice Chancellor of the University from 1976 to 1988.

A Computing Science building had been under consideration since the 1970s when the Computing Science department was temporarily housed in townhouses on Lilybank Terrace. The building was made possible under the Science Research Investment Fund and was designed by Reiach & Hall at a cost of £4.1m. It was built on the gap site left by the demolition of 20 Lilybank Gardens in the mid-1960s for the Queen Margaret Union, and of 18 and 19 Lilybank Gardens in the early 1980s.

The building’s key external features comprise a brise soleil canopy over a fourth floor terrace and timber sunscreen louvres covering a south-facing glazed curtain wall. Reiach & Hall acknowledge a number of sources for these features: Foster & Partners’ Carré d’Art at Nîmes, (1984-1993); Carlos Ferrater & Joan Guibernau’s Casa Alonso-Planas in Barcelona (1995-1998); Kengo Kuma’s Fukushima River Filter Building in Japan (1996); David Morley Architects’ Talacre Community Sports Centre, Kentish Town, London (2003); and Reiach & Hall’s own 1998 Beacon development in St Vincent Street in Glasgow.

The Sir Alwyn Williams Building was opened on 22 June 2007 by Professor Anne Glover, Chief Scientific Advisor for Scotland, and Lady Joan Williams, the widow of Principal Sir Alwyn Williams.

Summary

Sir Alwyn Williams Building
18 Lilybank Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8RZ
Record last updated: 26th Aug 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus