Maclay Hall

Description

In 1921 Lord Maclay and Lady Maclay donated their house at 17 Park Terrace to the University, in memory of their two sons who fell in the First World War. Maclay Hall opened as a hall of residence at the beginning of the session 1922-1923.

Originally an all-male residence with a capacity of 34, the Hall expanded with the acquisition of neighbouring properties Strain Hall (at 18 Park Terrace) and Fergusson Hall (19 park Terrace). It closed in 1964 for upgrading, and reopened three years later as a self-catering establishment. By 2001 it housed nearly 200 students.

In 2004-2005 Maclay Hall was sold for private development. The last students moved out of their rooms in December 2004.

Summary

Maclay Hall
15-21 Park Terrace
Glasgow
Record last updated: 13th Feb 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus