Florentine House

Description

Florentine House, also known as Florentine Bank House, is used as the College Office for the College of Social Sciences.

Florentine House, located on Hillhead Street next to the Library, is a B Listed building and one of the few surviving early villas in the area. Built around 1828 for Robert Watt, a Glasgow ironmonger, the house exhibits good architectural detailing with a prominent Doric doorpiece and massing. The house retains its original boundary walls and a pair of fine ashlar gatepiers. By 1858, Florentine House was set in a large garden, extending between Hillhead Street and Southpark Street, containing three summerhouses and a vase. Florentine House was one of a number of villas in this formerly residential area including New Hillhead House, Gilmorehill House, Oakfield House, Lilybank House, Saughfield House and Southpark House.

Florentine House was purchased by the University in 1981 and remnants of the original domestic interior can still be seen in the stair and entrance hall but otherwise the building’s interior has been largely altered.

Summary

Florentine House
53 Hillhead Street
Glasgow
G12 8QF
Record last updated: 27th Aug 2015

University Connections

Campus