Archives Repository and Searchroom

Description

13 Thurso Street, originally called Queen Street, houses the University's Transport Services, Hunterian Museum Annexe, and University of Glasgow Archive Services' Searchroom and Repository.

The lower part of the building was built around 1883 as a horse-drawn tram depot by the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company and is the only surviving example from the early period of the Glasgow tram networks, which was one of the first in Britain, established in 1872. In 1894 the Glasgow Corporation took over running the network from the independent companies, and built a new set of depots. At this time the building had a c-shaped plan with stables located to the east. There was also a single track spur leading from the main tramline on Dumbarton Road to the Thurso Street building. The stables were demolished in the 1930s. The Scotstown Grain Mills took over the building and in the 1940s developed mills on and around the site. It is likely that the concrete upper structure was added by the Scotstown Grain Mills around this time. In 1970 the University purchased the former FMS flour mill, which they required to provide storage and free up accommodation for academic use on the main campus. Initially proposed as a multi-storey car park, the building was converted at an initial cost of around £20,000 for use as a garage and workshop for University vehicles, a Materials Department store, and two storeys allocated to Library storage.

The University's Archive and Records Centre joint Searchroom service opened in Thurso Street in May 1996 and the Archives moved into the Thurso Street Repository in April 1998.

Summary

Archives Repository and Searchroom
13 Thurso Street
Glasgow


Record last updated: 5th Oct 2018

University Connections

Campus