Gilbert Scott Building

Description

The University moved from its historic site off High Street in 1870, and relocated to Gilmorehill in what was then the Burgh of Hillhead.

The new buildings were designed by George Gilbert Scott and erected around two quadrangles on top of the hill which had been previously occupied by Gilmorehill House. The new University buildings were inaugurated on 7 November 1870.

The tower, cloisters, great hall and west quadrangle remained unfinished. New funds became available in 1877 but the architect George Gilbert Scott died a year later, in 1878. It was left to his son, John Oldrid Scott, to finish the work.

The Bute and Randolph Halls were added 1878-1884 (designed by George Gilbert Scott, and completed after his death by J Oldrid Scott and Edwin Morgan).

The distinctive tower and spire was designed by J Oldrid Scott and erected 1887-1891, with four turrets and an open lattice stone spire. This was John Oldrid's own design, his father having originally designed a striking but rather heavier-looking clock tower.

Most of the windows on the south side of the Gilbert Scott Building were damaged during the Clydebank bombing raids of 13 March 1941. These were repaired at the end of 1946 by the firm of T. Harold Hughes and David Stark Reid Waugh.

Summary

Gilbert Scott Building
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 11th Nov 2021