Kelvin Hall

Description

The Kelvin Hall, located across from the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, was built in 1927 and designed to house large-scale exhibitions. During the Second World War the building was converted into a factory for barrage and convoy balloons and from 1987 to 2010 the Kelvin Hall housed Glasgow's Museum of Transport.

In May 2015 work was started on the redevelopment of the Kelvin Hall. New state of the art facilities are being developed to serve Glasgow Museums, Glasgow Life, the Scottish Screen Archives from the National Library of Scotland and the University of Glasgow. The new facilities will allow the University of Glasgow to build on its international reputation for collection based research and teaching, allowing much greater access to collections while forging new academic and educational practice.

The University will create research and teaching labs and state of the art conservation studios alongside search and seminar rooms, dedicated postgraduate study space, a conference suite and library. Hunterian staff will have new office space within the development while existing public galleries (Hunterian Museum, and Hunterian Art Gallery and The Mackintosh House) will remain on the University campus in their current locations.

A range of new postgraduate programmes will be developed at Kelvin Hall as well as a public programme offered by students and curators. An academy for cultural and heritage skills will offer training and continuing professional development to the museum and cultural heritage sectors, nationally and internationally.

Discussions are now underway with our partners with a view to creating new, public exhibition and visual arts spaces at Kelvin Hall in a second phase of development under a Kelvin Hall Phase 2 initiative.

Summary

Kelvin Hall
1445 Argyle Street
Glasgow
G3 8AW
Record last updated: 27th May 2015

University Connections

Campus