Department of Surgery Building

Description

The Department of Surgery Building is part of the Western Infirmary and comprises the southern part of the Gardiner Institute of Medicine building. The sparingly detailed building was designed by Norman Aitken Dick and constructed in 1937-1938.

Dick was one of the partners of Burnet, Son & Dick who by 1938 were rapidly in decline, having lost their contract with the University of Glasgow to former partner T. Harold Hughes. Hughes, along with architectural partner David Stark Reid Waugh, planned for a mirror building to the south of the Tennent Institute in 1947, but this was never begun.

The building forms part of an attractive and complete wall of buildings running along the eastern side of Church Street which comprise Pathology, Bacteriology and Immunology, the Outpatients Building, the Gardiner Institute of Medicine, the Western Clinical Research and Education Centre (formerly the Tennent Institute), and the MRC Blood Pressure Unit.

Summary

Department of Surgery Building
Western Infirmary
44 Church Street
Glasgow
G11 6NT
Record last updated: 17th Jul 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus