New Hillhead House

Description

New Hillhead House was a villa built around 1850 by the muslin manufacturer and calico printer Andrew Dalglish for Walter MacLellan of Blairvaddick (1815-1889).

The house and spacious grounds were donated to the University in 1917 by the MacLellan family in memory of the late Walter MacLellan. The Psychology, Russian, and Celtic departments were housed in the villa during the 1930s and in mid-1938 New Hillhead House was demolished to make way for the McMillan Reading Room. A bust of Walter MacLellan currently sits inside the Reading Room.

Summary

New Hillhead House
University Avenue
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 26th Jun 2015

University Connections

Campus