Sports Pavilions (1879, 1892 and 1905) and Recreation Grounds

Description

The first mention of outdoor sporting facilities at Gilmorehill was in 1874 when the students were allowed to use the 'College Green' to the west of The Square under the supervision of two Professors. In 1879 permission was granted to build a 40-foot (12m) by 16-foot (5m) covered shed with a small room at either end for the use of the students' cricket and football clubs. The centre part of the structure contained fixed seats and pegs. It was built in the south-eastern corner of the recreation ground, immediately to the south of the entrance of the present day Kelvin Building.

In 1883 the Glasgow University Athletic Club held an appeal which enabled the draining and levelling of the field and construction of a cinder bicycle rack and tennis courts. Grandstands were constructed in 1888 and 1901 to accommodate the sporting events offered as part of the Glasgow International Exhibitions held in neighbouring Kelvingrove Park.

A replacement brick pavilion, designed by William A. Makins, was built on the site of the first pavilion in 1892. This pavilion was demolished to make way for the construction of The Kelvin Building in 1903-1906 and a new cruciform pavilion, designed by Duncan & Copland, was erected on a site south of the Gymnasium.

In June 1909 new recreation grounds at Westerlands were purchased. The Gilmorehill field continued to be used until 1922 when the space was needed for the Zoology Building (now the Graham Kerr Building). Another recreation ground was purchased at Garscadden in 1933. Due to the extension of The Kelvin Building in 1947-1952, the Gilmorehill tennis courts were moved to the roof of Jack Coia's new boiler house in 1949-1950 where they remained until the construction of the Biomedicine Building (now Davidson Building) in 1960.

Summary

Sports Pavilions (1879, 1892 and 1905) and Recreation Grounds
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 15th May 2015

University Connections

Campus