Gymnasium, University Place

Description

The first addition to the Gilmorehill campus was the Gymnasium. It was built on the site of the old Gilmorehill House stables. This building now forms part of Estates & Buildings and the Officer Training Corps.

A petition requesting the construction of a gymnasium was signed by 565 students and was considered positively by the University Senate in February 1870. By July, plans were obtained from Archibald MacLaren of Oxford - the most famous teacher and author of physical education books of his day. The building was partially funded through a £1,600 subscription.

George Gilbert Scott was invited to approve MacLaren's designs for the Gymnasium however it was John Burnet Sr who supervised the construction in 1871-1872. The local firm Hunter & Marshall provided the joinery.

The building was extended in May 1896 with the addition of five courts (this was probably carried out by John Burnet & Son). In 1908-1909 a new locker room was added. The building was used until 1946 when the five courts were demolished and the Gymnasium was converted to house the University workshops which were later altered and used to form the administrative offices of Estates & Buildings.

Summary

Gymnasium, University Place
University Place
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 8th May 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus