Westerlands Pavilion and Recreation Grounds

Description

In 1909 a 15-acre site was purchased for a new recreation ground at Westerlands, Anniesland through subscription. In February 1909 Sir Thomas Glen-Coats, 1st Baronet of Ferguslie Park Paisley, paid a subscription of £1000 towards the acquisition of the new ground. At the same time Andrew Carnegie promised £1000 in the event of £9000 being raised. In 1912 £10,000 had been raised and Andrew Carnegie paid the subscription. The recreation grounds were also funded through a £2500 grant made by the Bellahouston Trustees.

A temporary sports Pavilion was raised in 1913. A memorial flagstaff was presented to the Glasgow University Athletic Club (now the Glasgow University Sports Association) by Samuel Galbraith, Esq. of Dumbarton in memory of Major Andrew Marshall Downie from the 5th Highland Light Infantry. Major Downie died of wounds received in action at the Dardanelles on 20 July 1915. The memorial plaque from the flagstaff is currently held by the University Archives awaiting re-dedication.

The Westerlands Recreation Grounds were extended in the early 1920s through a public appeal and student fund-raising activities and in 1923 work began on a new Pavilion. The building was designed by architect James M. Honeyman and opened in 1926.

Discussions to sell the Westerlands Recreation Grounds began in 1994 and they were sold in 1997 for housing development. The Garscube Sports Complex near Maryhill was opened in 1996.

Summary

Westerlands Pavilion and Recreation Grounds
Anniesland
Ascot Avenue
Glasgow
Record last updated: 7th May 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus