Melville House

Description

Melville House was located at 9 Bute Gardens and was one of five houses that comprised Queen Margaret Halls before new residences were built on Bellshaugh Road in 1964. The house was named in honour of Frances Melville who was the Mistress of Queen Margaret College from 1909 until 1935. Melville was a suffragist and a prominent campaigner for greater access to higher education for women.

The house was acquired in 1946 along with a small hotel at 18-19 Bute Gardens. The hotel was taken over as Galloway House, named in honour of Janet Ann Galloway.

Summary

Melville House
9 Bute Gardens
Glasgow

Record last updated: 27th Feb 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus