University Gardens, 14

Description

14 University Gardens currently houses Music.

This A listed house was designed by John James Burnet. The house was completed in 1904 and was the last of the terrace to be built. Burnet’s earlier houses on the street, initially known as Saughfield Crescent as it was sited on the former gardens of Saughfield House, date from 1882-4. The house was designed in a restrained but eclectic Glasgow free style, fusing neo-Baroque with Arts & Crafts. The tall triangular gable is particularly influenced by the Scots Renaissance style and this feature produces a strong emphasis at the end of the building. It would appear that the house at No.14 was not intended to terminate the terrace but, by the time it was built, seems that the decision had been taken that the northern terrace at University Gardens would not join up with that of Lilybank Gardens.

14 University Gardens was first occupied by William Bottomley from 1905-1908 who was a patent agent and agent for the registration of designs and trade marks, followed by James S. Spencer, of James Spencer & Co., who lived at No.14 from 1908-1923. The house appears to have been vacant from 1924 until 1932 when it was reoccupied by John H Ross who lived at No.14 until 1939.

Summary

University Gardens, 14
14 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8QH
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus