University Gardens, 12

Description

12 University Gardens currently houses English Language.

The house at No.12 is by J. Gaff Gillespie of Salmon Son & Gillespie and was built in 1900. It is one of two houses in the terrace not buit by John James Burnet (the other being 1 University Gardens). The house is located on the north terrace of the then Saughfield Crescent which was sited on the former gardens of Saughfield House. Compared to the firm’s other work in the same period, the style of this A listed building is restrained and harmonises well with the other buildings. The house fuses neo-Baroque with Arts & Crafts style like the Burnet houses. The plasticity of the masonry around the front door and the corbels supporting the balcony are influenced by the contemporary work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The Glasgow School style can be seen in the front door bay – it possesses a glazed octagonal turret with a shallow ogee roof which is a common motif of Mackintosh office buildings of the period. It is odd that Burnet was not asked to develop the entire terrace in one design from the 1880s onward, but it may be that this was due to the different ownership of the plots.

12 University Gardens was first occupied by William Orr Worman (of Davidson & Workman) as well as by William S. Workman (of George Smith & Sons). W. S. Workman then resided solely in the house during the 1930s. Lastly, the home was occupied by Miss Workman from 1938 until the 1940s. In 1938 the post office records note that both Miss Workman and the University Observatory (possibly departmental offices for the Observatory located at 22 University Gardens) resided at No.12, suggesting that the house had been converted to suit this arrangement.

Summary

University Gardens, 12
12 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8QH
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015

University Connections

Campus