University Gardens, 9

Description

9 University Gardens currently houses Scottish History.

This house, along with 10 University Gardens, was built between 1894 and 1900 by John James Burnet and forms part of the second development phase of the street. The house is located on the north terrace of the then Saughfield Crescent which was sited on the former gardens of Saughfield House. The A listed building was designed in a restrained but eclectic Glasgow free style, fusing neo-Baroque with Arts & Crafts detailing. 9 & 10 University Gardens are some of the simplest of the terrace along with 6 & 7 University Gardens.

Notable residents include Rev John Hunter, Minister of Trinity Congregational Church, who lived at No.9 from 1895 until 1901. The next resident was James Moir, Professor of Conveyancing at the University of Glasgow, who lived at the house from 1902 until his death in 1915. Rev J. A. C. Murray lived at 9 University Gardens from c1923 to c1933 and Edward Hindle, Professor of Zoology at the University from 1935-1943, lived at the house around this time.

Summary

University Gardens, 9
9 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8QH
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus