George Service

Biography of George Service

George Service House
George Service House

George Service was a Glasgow shipowner who was first chairman of the Student International Club, founded in 1922. He left £1,000 to the club in his will, and its premises at 11 University Gardens were named for him. George Service House has been occupied by HATII since 1997.

Born in Glasgow, Service studied at the University in the early 1880s before working for the shipping company, City Line. He joined Prentice & Clapperton which became known as Prentice Service & Henderson after he became a partner in 1890. Service spent much of his life in Cove, where he was a councillor for many years, and he was Provost of Cove and Kilcreggan in 1917. He was Glasgow's Dean of Guild, 1930-1932.

Service was a patron of the artist Francis Cadell (1883-1937).

Summary

George Service
Shipowner

Born 21 September 1864.
Died 1 October 1940.
University Link: Alumnus, Benefactor
Occupation categories: shipowners
Record last updated: 31st May 2007

University Connections

University Roles

  • Alumnus
  • Benefactor

Buildings

There are no comments available.