John McIntyre

Biography of John McIntyre

John McIntyre statue, Glasgow University Union
John McIntyre statue, Glasgow University Union

Dr John McIntyre (1819-1903) gifted £5,000 to the University students in the 1880s, to help them meet the cost of erecting a building for the new student union. The gift was made in memory of his late wife, Anne. The Glasgow University Union was formally opened in the new McIntyre Building in 1890.

McIntyre was born in Muthill near Crieff in Scotland and graduated MD from the University of St Andrews in 1839. From 1841, he lived and practised in Odiham, Hampshire where he left a legacy of £1,000 to build a hospital for the care of the sick in the district. In 1888 the University awarded him an LLD.

McIntyre's nephews, William and Andrew McIntyre, both studied medicine at the University, matriculating in the sessions 1870-1 and 1871-2 respectively. After they qualified, John McIntyre's nephews both joined his practice in Odiham as assistants.

Summary

John McIntyre
Physician

Born 1819.
Died 1903.
University Link: Benefactor, Honorary Graduate
GU Degree: LLD, 1888;
Occupation categories: physicians
Record last updated: 26th Jul 2016

University Connections

University Roles

  • Benefactor
  • Honorary Graduate

Buildings

On This Day Entries

There are no comments available.