Adam Smith Building

Description

The Adam Smith Building, named in honour of the moral philosopher and political economist, Adam Smith, was designed by David Harvey, Alex Scott & Associates and formally opened on 2 November 1967 by Sydney George Checkland, Professor of Economic History from 1957 to 1982. The building was the first of the University's multipurpose blocks housing a large number of departments, and a library for Political Economy, Social and Economic Research, Economic History, Political and Social Theory and Institutions, Management Studies, Psychology, Social Psychology, Accountancy, Citizenship, Anthropology, Criminology, Industrial Relations, and the School of Social Study. A records store was provided beneath the Library for the Economic History department to house their rapidly growing collection of business records from the vanishing Clyde shipyards and heavy engineering workshops, which now form part of the Scottish Business Archive held at University of Glasgow Archive Services.

The mosaic mural at the foot of the main staircase was the work of George Garson, the head of the Mural Design and Stained Glass department at the Glasgow School of Art.

Summary

Adam Smith Building
42 Bute Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8RT

Record last updated: 28th Jan 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus