The Square, 10

Description

10 The Square is part of the Stair Building, which comprises No.5–10 The Square, and currently houses the School of Law.

No.10 was one of the 13 townhouses built for the University Professors in 1870–1871 by George Gilbert Scott. When built, 10 The Square was intended for the Professors of Mathematics.

The first resident at No.10 was Hugh Blackburn. He was Professor of Mathematics from 1849 to 1879 and lived at No.10 with his wife Jemima Blackburn from 1870 to 1879. The next resident was William Jack, Professor of Mathematics at the University, he lived at No.10 from 1879 to 1909. He was succeeded by George Gibson. Gibson was Professor of Mathematics at the University from 1909 to 1927 and lived at 10 The Square during this time.

From 1927 to 1954 Thomas Murray MacRobert lived in the townhouse with his wife Sandy MacRobert. He was Professor of Mathematics at the University during this time. In her reminiscences, Sandy MacRobert recalls a memorable occasion in 1933 when a large tea-party was held in their drawing room in honour of Albert Einstein. Einstein was delivering the inaugural Gibson Lecture in the History of Mathematics and was also receiving an LLD at the University.

The last tenants to reside at 10 The Square were Robert Rankin, his wife Mary, and their children. He was Professor of Mathematics from 1954 to 1982 and he and his family lived at No.10 during this time. After this time 10 The Square was incorporated into the School of Law.

Summary

The Square, 10
10 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015