Biography of Arthur Ballantyne
Arthur James Ballantyne (1876-1954) was a graduate of the University and the first Tennent Professor of Ophthalmology at the Western Infirmary, from 1935 to 1941. He was awarded an LLD in 1941.
Ballantyne graduated MB, ChB from the University in 1898 and MD in 1901, and studied at the University of Vienna. He spent two years as House Physician and then Surgeon at the Glasgow Eye Infirmary before his appointment as Assistant Surgeon (in 1902) and Surgeon (from 1909 until 1935). He was Professor of Physiology at Anderson's College of Medicine, 1909 to 1914, before briefly becoming Professor of Ophthalmology at St Mungo's College, 1914 to 1915, and then at Anderson's College of Medicine, 1915 to 1920.
During the First World War, Ballantyne served as Ophthalmic Surgeon to the 67th General Hospital in Salonika. He returned to Glasgow to become, in 1920, a lecturer in Ophthalmology at the University, and he was appointed to the new Chair in 1935. He was a respected medical ophthalmologist and after his retirement in 1941 he continued his ground-breaking research in diabetic retinopathy.