Biography of Margaret Macgregor
Margaret Macgregor was a benefactress who generously bequeathed large sums to the cities of Glasgow and Stirling. The University's Macgregor Building was built as a result of a £10,000 donation made by Mrs Macgregor's Trustees.
Margaret Macgregor (nee McGuffie), born 8 November 1851 in Glasgow, was the daughter of Thomas McGuffie, an Architect, and Janet White McGuffie (nee Cumming). Margaret married John Macgregor, a wealthy Timber merchant, on 12 October 1886 in Govan. She died 9 December 1928 in Batterflats, Cambusbarron, Stirlingshire.
In March 1930 Mrs Macgregor's Trustees gave £10,000 to the University of Glasgow to be used for any purpose. It was decided by the University Court that the funds should be used to build a new extension to the Pathology, Bacteriology and Immunology Building, to be named the Macgregor Memorial Block in her honour. The building was officially opened 5 February 1935 and was later replaced by a larger building, named the Macgregor Building, in 1959.