Biography of George Hibberd
George Hibberd (1901-1989) was Dixon Professor of Mining at the University from 1947 to 1967.
Born in Muirkirk, Hibberd studied at the Royal Techical College in Glasgow. He was a mining official from 1926 to 1928 and then worked as a lecturer from 1926 until his appointment to the Dixon Chair in 1947. The Chair had been combined with the Professorship of Mining at the Royal Technical College in 1932, and Hibberd taught most of his classes at the college. When the college became the University of Strathclyde in 1964, Hibberd found himself a member of both senates in the city.