Biography of Anderson Kirkwood
Anderson Kirkwood (1812?-1889) was Professor of Conveyancing at the University from 1862 until 1867. He was Secretary of Court from 1874 until 1887.
Kirkwood came to Glasgow in 1839 and founded the legal partnership Bannatynes & Kirkwood with Andrew and Dugald Kirkwood. He was Dean of the Faculty of Procurators from 1875 to 1880.
A Liberal in his politics, Kirkwood was an adherent of the Free Church of Scotland. In 1878 he worked with Professor John Veitch to raise the funds required to purchase Sir William Hamilton's Library for the University, which he also served as Secretary of Court from 1874 to 1887.