Biography of Andrew de Durisdeer
Andrew de Durisdeer's Seal
Andrew de Durisdeer, sometimes referred to as Andrew Muirhead (d 1473) was Archbishop of Glasgow and Chancellor of the University from 1455 until his death.
A graduate of the Universities of St Andrews and Paris, Durisdeer became a sub-dean in Glasgow and then Dean of the Diocese of Aberdeen. In 1455 he was succeeded William Turnbull as Bishop of Glasgow and as Chancellor of the University. He became an important government adviser, serving on the Council of Regency during King James III's minority and as an ambassador.
Durisdeer was responsible for building St Nicholas' Chapel and a Hospital near the Cathedral. In 1471 he built a manse for the hospital, which became known as Provand's Lordship and is the oldest surviving building in Glasgow. He founded the College of Vicars of the Choir of Glasgow in 1467.