Log-in / Register

Not yet registered? Register Here.

James Milliken of Milliken

Biography of James Milliken of Milliken

James Milliken of Milliken (1710-1776) was Rector of the University from 1759 to 1761.

In 1733 George Houstoun sold the Johnstone estate to James' father James Milliken (d 1741), who changed its name to "Milliken". James Milliken Jnr was a partner in the South Sugar House in Glasgow and inherited his father's sugar estates in St Kitts. He sponsored many road-building and other improvements in and around the village of Kilbarchan.

Summary

James Milliken of Milliken
Plantation Owner

Born 1710, Nevis.
Died 6 June 1776.
University Link: Rector
Occupation categories: plantation owners; sugar manufacturers
Record last updated: 1st Apr 2008

University Connections

University Roles

There are no comments available. Log in using the box in the top right of the page to post a comment. No user account? Register here.