Biography of Allen Thomson
Allen Thomson (1809-1884) was Regius Professor of Anatomy at the University from 1848 to 1877 and Clerk of Senate 1851-1855. The Thomson Building is named for him.
Born in Edinburgh, Thomson was educated at the University of Edinburgh (MD, 1830) and in Paris. He was Professor of Anatomy at Marischal College, Aberdeen and Professor of Physiology at the University of Edinburgh before coming to Glasgow in 1848.
Thomson reorganised the University's Medical School, improving the facilities as well as the standards of teaching, and the number of Anatomy students increased almost four-fold during his professorship. However, he was also a great servant to the wider University community. As Convenor of the New Buildings Committee, he helped organise the removal of the University from High Street to Gilmorehill and on 6 June 1866 he cut the first sod at the new site. He helped raise funds for the construction of the Western Infirmary and worked hard to establish its close links with the Medical School. He represented the University on the General Medical Council from 1859 until 1877, the year in which the University conferred the degree of LLD on him and in which he delivered, as President, the opening address at the British Association's annual meeting.
Thomson also had a syndrome named for him: 'Berry's syndrome', also known as 'Thomson Complex' which is Mandibulofacial dysostosis evident at birth.
Anatomist and Embryologist
Born 2 April 1809, Scotland.
Died 21 March 1884.
University Link: Clerk of Senate, Graduate, Honorary Graduate, Professor
GU Degree: LLD, 1877;
Occupation categories: anatomists; embryologists
Search for this person in the DNB
Record last updated: 26th Jun 2013