Biography of John McKellar Robertson
John McKellar Robertson (d1939) was a Glasgow shipowner. In 1923 he gifted his house at 2 University Gardens to the University, "to be use as a Professor's house, Hostel or other University purpose calculated to preserve the amenity of the neighbourhood." It was initially used as a hall of residence and in 1926 it was converted for use as a professor's house. The student residence was moved to a house at 1 Lilybank Gardens, which the University had purchased from the shipowner George Service the previous year, and the new residence was named Robertson House.