Log-in / Register

Not yet registered? Register Here.

Robert Hamilton

Biography of Robert Hamilton

Robert Hamilton
Robert Hamilton

Robert Hamilton (1754-1799) was a merchant in Canton, modern day Guangzhou, China, who left the reversion to a proportion of his estate to the University. In 1813 the University replaced the east side of the Inner Quadrangle in the Old College with a new building, which was named the Hamilton Building in anticipation of the receipt of funds from the bequest. The University finally received £11,000 in 1823.

Hamilton was from Airdrie, and died at Jamestown, St Helena in 1799. He was the son of Robert Hamilton (1714-1756), Regius Professor of Botany and Anatomy at the University from 1742 to 1756, and briefly Regius Professor of Practice of Medicine in 1756. His cousin Dr William Hamilton (1758-1790) was also Professor of Anatomy and Botany from 1781 to 1790.

Summary

Robert Hamilton
Merchant

Born 1754.
Died 8 June 1799.
University Link: Benefactor
GU Degree:
Occupation categories: merchants
View Additional Information
Record last updated: 19th Feb 2014

University Connections

University Roles

  • Benefactor

Buildings

Honours

There are no comments available. Log in using the box in the top right of the page to post a comment. No user account? Register here.