Biography of David Cadzow
David Cadzow (d 1468) was Sub-Dean and Precentor of the Cathedral and the University's first Rector from 1451 to 1453. He also served as Rector from 1458 until 1466 and made notable benefactions.
Cadzow may have been nominated by the Bishop in 1451, but he was elected Rector in 1452 and on subsequent occasions. In 1460 he gifted 20 nobles to the cost of manufacturing a silver-shafted mace (which was completed, after further donations from members of the University in 1465). In 1463 he assigned an annual rent of 12 marks to support a lecturer in Canon Law.
In 1449, Cadzow had been granted the chapel of Saint Thomas the Martyr by James, Lord Hamilton, and he subsequently made over the rents from the chaplainry to the Regent of the Faculty of Arts. He gave 12 marks to found an annuity of 10 shillings to the Faculty of Arts. In recognition of his generosity the Faculty agreed to mark the anniversary of his death on 7 March each year.