Biography of Sir Henry Mechan
The Henry Mechan Chair of Public Health was founded in 1923 and endowed by Sir Henry Mechan (1856-1943), the Chairman of the Scotstoun engineers and boatbuilders, Mechans Ltd. Five years after his death, in 1948, his company endowed the Mechan Chair of Engineering.
Born in Glasgow, Mechan became an apprentice and then a partner in his father's business, Mechans Ltd. In 1923 he gifted £23,000 to the University to found the chair that bears his name.
Mechan was also a town councillor who was elected President of the Scottish Unionist Association in 1928; a benefactor of the Western Infirmary (he also served as Chairman of its Board of Management); and a director of the Samaritan Hospital for Women. He acted as Assessor on the University Court.