Biography of Gavin Paterson Tennent
The Tennent Chair of Ophthalmology was founded in 1917 and is named for Gavin Patterson Tennent (d1913), who had endowed it. Funds from his bequest were used to build the Tennent Memorial Institute in 1936, to house the Ophthalmological Department.
Tennent studied at the University, graduating MB, CM in 1867 and MD in 1870. From 1868 to 1870 he served as assistant to John Black Cowan (d1896), Regius Professor of Materia Medica, and he was a visiting physician at the Western Infirmary from 1881 until 1897.
The Tennent chair was the first in Ophthalmology to be founded in the United Kingdom.