Biography of Sir Frederick Crombie Gardiner
Sir Frederick Gardiner
Frederick Crombie Gardiner (1855-1937) was one of the University's most generous benefactors. In 1919, he and his brother William Guthrie Gardiner endowed the Gardiner chairs of Physiological Chemistry (renamed Biochemistry in 1958), Bacteriology (renamed Immunology in 1990)) and Organic Chemistry (the restriction removed in 1942 and the Chair simply named the Gardiner Chair of Chemistry). In 1928 they endowed the Gardiner Chair of Music. The brothers also endowed lectureships in Organic Chemistry (in 1898) and in the Pathology of Diseases of Infancy and Childhood (1928). The cost of building and equipping the Gardiner Institute of Medicine, which opened in 1938, was met from the brothers' bequests.
Born in Kincardine, Gardiner was one of seven children of a United Presbyterian minister. He went to New Zealand in his youth to train as a shipbroker, returning in 1880 to join his brothers James and William in a partnership, James Gardiner & Co. The firm sold its large fleet of cargo ships at the end of the First World War.
Gardiner was an influential businessman who served as President of the Clyde Steamship Owners Association; Chairman of the Glasgow Lloyds Association; a director of the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce; Lord Dean of Guild and many other public offices. After retiring from the shipping business, he became Chairman of the Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co.
In 1920, the University awarded Gardiner an LLD in recognition of his public services and his bequest. He was awarded the KBE in 1921 for his services to the country during the war.