Log-in / Register

Not yet registered? Register Here.

Trades House of Glasgow

Description

The Trades House of Glasgow was founded in 1605 to represent and promote the interests of Glasgow's craftsmen, and look after those members and their families who fell on hard times. Like the Merchants House, it was well represented on the Town Council until 1833, but in recent times it has concentrated primarily on raising and distributing funds for charitable purposes.

The Trades House's Commonweal Fund is to be used "for any good and pious use which may tend to the advancement of the "commonweal" of the Burgh." Money from the fund has been made available for publications relating to exhibitions at the University.

The Trades House Medical Prize is awarded annually to the student with the highest marks in written and clinical final examinations.

Summary

Trades House of Glasgow
Founded in 1605.

View bibliography
Record last updated: 13th Apr 2007

University Connections

Awards

There are no comments available. Log in using the box in the top right of the page to post a comment. No user account? Register here.