The Christina Hansen Scholarship was founded in 1944 by the bequest of William Hansen, MB 1896, of Upminster in memory of his mother.
The Scholarship was open to graduates in Medicine of the University and available in any subject of the medical curriculum subsequent to the First Professional Examination.
It was awarded annually in October on the recommendation of the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty taking into account the general academic record of the candidate, the evidence of his capacity for advanced study or research, and the result of any independent work which he may have undertaken.
The Scholar was to devote his whole time to research carried out under a Supervisor appointed by the Senatus but the Scholar might, with the approval of the Supervisor, take part to a limited extent in the teaching of the department in which he was working. It was tenable in the first instance for one year but tenure could be extended for a further period of not more than two years. The scholarship amount was £300 and it was not tenable along with any other scholarship.